Two Wolves

‘Two Wolves recalls the great adventure stories of Jack London but with the gritty realism of 21st-century story-telling. Gripping and unpredictable, with a hero you won’t forget.’
– John Boyne, author of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

Honour Book, CBCA Book of the Year Awards 2015

Winner, KOALAYABBA Children’s Choice Book Awards 2015
Shortlisted, Australian Prime Minister’s Literary Awards

Top 10 Aus YA Novel 2013-14           Top 10 YA Book of the Year

– Nielsen Bookscan                                – Booktopia

‘An old man tells his grandson one evening that there is a battle raging inside him, inside all of us. A terrible battle between two wolves. One wolf is bad – pride, jealousy, greed. The other wolf is good – kindness, hope, truth. The child asks, ‘Who will win?’

The grandfather answers simply, ‘The one you feed.’

– Unknown source

Synopsis

One afternoon, four police officers visit Ben Silver’s home. Minutes after they leave, his parents arrive. Ben and his little sister Olive are bundled into the car and told they’re going on a holiday. Which is weird, because Ben’s family never goes on holidays.

Things aren’t right and Ben knows it. His parents are on the run. So Ben and Olive are running, too.

Ben’s always dreamt of becoming a detective – his dad even calls him ‘Cop’ because he asks so many questions. Now Ben gathers evidence, jots notes and tries to uncover what his parents have done. The trouble is, if he figures it out, what does he do next? Tell someone? Or keep the secret and live life on the run?

Recommended for ages 10+

Read a Free Sample:

Buy The Book

Buy a copy of Two Wolves, signed by the author Tristan Bancks

Read Free Sample at Amazon

Download Comprehensive Teaching Materials

5 Books That Influenced the Writing of Two Wolves

Two Wolves Vision Board

Two Wolves Book Soundtrack

Behind-the-Scenes on Two Wolves – How it Was

Written

A Post on My Two Wolves / On the Run Writing Retreat at Varuna The Writer’s House

What Bloggers, Booksellers & Educators Are Saying

‘A tense, hard-edged, no-holds-barred thriller.’ – Anthony Horowitz author of the Alex Rider series

‘The novel was perfect – praise I rarely give, in fact – taut, empathic and of a depth very rarely seen for that age group of boys in particular.’ – Marj Osborne, Teacher-Librarian / Blogger

‘I love this book. As a bookseller, I’m always asked for novels that: a) are Australian stories, and b) will get boys into reading. Two Wolves fits both of these bills perfectly. Ben is a relateable character and the story is so vivid I felt I was there. Genuinely tense and page turning without being violent or graphic, this will be going straight to the ‘staff picks’ wall in my shop. 5 out of 5 stars.’ – Tayla Harrison, Collins Booksellers, Moonee Ponds

‘This engrossing novel captures the reader with the skill and narrative power of the descriptive writing, its intriguing plot, believable dialogue, family tensions, and Ben’s emotional and physical growth . . . Highly recommended for secondary readers as a gripping read, and for class discussion on many levels.” – Chloé Mauger, Magpies

‘It’s such a great book: well written, gripping, psychologically true and ethically complex. Fantastic characterisation (especially Ben & Olive, who is wonderfully well-drawn) and a truly exciting story. Loved it. I hope it sells by the truckload!’ – Judith Ridge, Westwords.

‘While keeping the narrative exciting and fast-paced, Bancks poses moral dilemmas and choices which increase the depth and literary worth of the novel… Ben [is] flawed, realistic but a positive role-model for teen readers. – Joy Lawn, Boomerang Books.

‘I predict that this will become a set novel in many secondary English and Media classrooms. Its sense of place, the action, the moral issues, the connections with other literature, its filmic potential – the list goes on. There are twenty pages of excellent teaching notes on the Random House website here.‘ – Megan Daley, Teacher-Librarian / Blogger at Children’s Books Daily.

‘I’m a huge fan of Tristan Bancks’s Mac Slater books and was excited to read his new one – it doesn’t disappoint. Two Wolves is a fantastic, suspenseful novel for readers aged 11 and up, and a book that will keep them reading well into the night!’ – Katherine Dretzke, Readings Books, Hawthorn

The Kids’ Bookshop: http://www.thekidsbookshop.com.au/9780857982032

Sue Warren, TL / blogger: https://losangzopa.wordpress.com/2014/01/20/two-wolves-tristan-bancks/
Miffy Farquharson TL / blogger: http://miffyreviews.wordpress.com
Crew’s Reviews: http://crewsreviews.edublogs.org/2014/01/22/loyalties-two-wolves/

‘I loved reading Two Wolves! Thrilling, thought provoking & an adventure to boot.

Well done – deserving of book cake.’ – AJ Betts, author of Zac & Mia

‘A high stakes adventure that will keep you guessing and breathless until the very end. A moving family drama about the wild places of nature and the human heart, all rolled into one tense and powerful package.’

Michael Gerard Bauer, author of Don’t Call Me Ishmael

21 Comments

1. Siboney Duff
    September 16, 2013 / 10:52 am

Brilliant! Great blurb, love the cover, and the testimonials are fantastic! So excited about this book 🙂

2. September 16, 2013 / 9:23 pm

Thanks Sib. Much appreciated. Looking forward to sending it out into the world.

3. June 16, 2014 / 6:06 am

Ben or Dan? p. 181
    Incredibly I pulled up for the night on page 180. When I resumed, I felt momentarily confused as I was sure the main character was Ben! Dan's a great name, I wonder what the thinking is behind the name change?
    Loved your book, such strong beginning to a story which just didn't let up. Thank you bringing to light, the two wolves Cherokee legend. I've already borrowed it in conversation to my son on choice and humanity generally. 🙂

4. June 17, 2014 / 3:50 am

Hey Karen.

Yes, Dan! It slipped through after a thousand reads by me and another thousand by my editor. It's been changed for the re-print. Thanks for pointing out, just in case. The reason I changed it is that Dan/Dad, Dan/Dad throughout was confusing for my early readers, so I switched it. Was unsure at first but came to like 'Ben Silver' after a few weeks.

Thanks for the kind words, too. If you're on Goodreads or Amazon, love you to rate the book!

The two wolves quote is perfect, huh? Glad it's been useful.

Best,

Tristan.

5. Anonymous
    September 3, 2014 / 6:42 am

I think ill like this book especially by its cover.

6. Anne Coyne
    September 4, 2014 / 7:32 am

Hi Tristan, my daughter met you at the Brisbane Writers Festival. In her words it was excellent meeting a young author. You have inspired her so for that I Thank You.

7. Marcel
    February 25, 2015 / 5:22 am

g'day mate how are you champ? I really like the book it was rake. I like the part of the boOk when Ben falls in the cold river trying to make a raft and also because of the describing words.
    I am reading this book with my awesome amazing tutor
    See you MATE!😜😝😛😁

• June 29, 2015 / 12:12 am

Hey Marcel. That is good to hear! I hope you liked the end of the book. Glad you have an awesome, amazing tutor, too. Happy reading. Tristan.

8. Anonymous
    June 28, 2015 / 11:00 pm

Congratulations on not only an awesome book but a book for young readers that deals with something other than bullying!I absolutely loved it and can't wait to share it with my senior classes this term. Keep them coming!
    Kristen – Teacher/Librarian (Primary)

• June 29, 2015 / 12:15 am

Thanks Kristen. I get such a thrill when I hear of teachers sharing the book with students and especially when the students then actually enjoy it! I'm going to write a series of TWO WOLVES blog posts in coming weeks so hopefully they'll help you bring the book to life.Good luck! Best, Tristan.

9. celine
    July 13, 2015 / 1:59 am

I am a young teen and I personally loved this book. I bought it at school from the book fair. I love how you really focus on what the characters feel, I now use this technique in my writing.

10. kayleigh
    September 1, 2015 / 5:59 am

hey Tristan Bancks enjoyed listening to you as you read the book TWO WOLVES it inspired me to wonder, what its like to write? what mainly inspires you to come up with the books? look forward to reading more of TWO WOLVES and finding out what happens next. Kay

11. August 25, 2016 / 11:34 pm

Hi Tristan, is there any chance this will be released as an audiobook. Our school is using this book as a novel study and we would love for our students who struggle with reading to listen along.

12. August 26, 2016 / 1:06 am

Hi Kristi

Thanks for asking. We are working on getting it published as an audio book. I get lots of requests. No firm plans yet but I will leave a note here and hopefully you will receive follow-up comments if it is being made into an audiobook. I will put more energy into this as I'd love to see it happen.

I hope the teaching materials / videos etc are useful for your students!

Best,

Tristan.

13. March 10, 2017 / 10:40 am

Hi Tristan,
    We also want an audio version to help our Dyslexic and English as a second language students enjoy your fabulous tale! Any updates???
    Regards
    Jenny

• March 13, 2017 / 10:26 pm

Hi Jenny. Not yet but I get asked about this every week and I'm a big audiobook fan. I will make it happen in the next few months. Watch this space or follow me on a Twitter, eNews subscription or FB and I will update. Thanks for letting me know that you want this. Tristan

14. March 10, 2017 / 10:41 am

Hi Tristan,
    We also want this title in Novel Studies with an audio copy for Dyslexic and struggling readers to enjoy – any updates?
    Regards
    Jenny

15. Nick(not real name)
    August 17, 2017 / 8:58 am

The book was so good that our school chose it for a compulsory reading books, we have 2 common assessment tasks on it.

16. August 21, 2017 / 10:55 am

Hey Nick (not real name). I hope the assessment tasks aren't too tough and that you enjoyed the book. 😉

T